Sunday, November 13, 2005

Second Life Distance Collaboration

As a distance student, I've learned innovative ways to collaborate and communicate with other EdTechies. I learned to work around time zone differences when I partnered with teachers in Thailand and Bangledesh to create a webquest. I know how to create community solely through email contact. I'm comfortable with three-way calling in planning and executing various class projects and assignments.
But, until last week... I've never had the chance to actually "sit down" and chat with an on-campus student. Marguerite Benmergui (aka Peggy) was kind enough to sit at my campfire and chat about our projects and share thoughts and perspectives about our Second Life adventures. Having this exchange actually within the simulation environment only added to the experience.
In addition, I've had many opportunities to discuss educational applications within SL. Pictured with me is kk Mechanique, an Instructional Technologist at an East Coast university, charged with moving faculty towards new e-learning opportunities. This photo was taken at Response, the Homeland Security sim previously mentioned in this blog (October 2005). Not pictured is one of the original developers, who was graciously telling us about the current state of the sim. This type of experience has been typical for me. Most EdTec folks are eager to share ideas within the game and are enthusiastic in discussing pros/cons of various educational applications. It's been an unexpected bonus for me to listen in as various faculty from academic institutions in the United States and Europe discuss formative ideas in learning within a simulation environment.

No comments: