Monday, November 21, 2005

NetLogo User Community Models


While doing research for simulation ideas within my eGame project, I was pointed toward the NetLogo Web site. I immediately got drawn in, and spent much more time on the site than I had intended, running through the models submitted by the NetLogo user community.

There is a whole series of models, created by Ed Hazzard, which deal with adaptation and evolution within a flock of sheep. I spent some time playing with the Fussy Females model, in which you can set a parameter that makes females fussy and not willing to breed with blue mutations. Then you can sit back and watch what happens to the flock over time. I won't give up the ending--you'll have to find out for yourself.

Models within the Community Models vary quite a bit, from a model of slime mold behavior, to a model of the drug economy. There is also a model to help solve Sudokupuzzles.

I highly recommend checking it out. But leave yourself plenty of time.

No comments: