Saturday, November 26, 2005

My favorite quote about Second Life Yet

Again, my obsession with second life has yielded upon another accidental find. A quote from this website:

"And, strikingly, Rosedale says, about 38 percent of Second Life's subscribers are women, more than double the average for online games. Women also play longer, accounting for about 50 percent of the time spent online in the world."

(Philip Rosedale is the CEO of Linden Lab, the San Francisco company he founded in 1999. It launched Second Life in 2003.)

Well, in my experience in second life, I can see how addicting that second life is for women. First of all, shopping is a must. I will not tell you my running total for lindens, but it is big. I found one store, bought outfits, found a better store, bought more outfits... skin, hair, building the perfect avitar. I couldnt stop there, I had to built my dream house, and furnish it. I even made a friend on sl whose rl includes interior design. I was given great advise of the do's and don'ts of making a room appear larger or smaller. And now that I have conquered that, it is relationships that I am building. It is the clubs that I am visitiing, the most popular being "Bad Girls".. anyone need a landmark?

This is a game that goes beyond computer gaming of knowing how to manipulate the joystick, and war games... this is relationship building... I can totally see why women are sucked in. I see women as holding great power in sl, afterall, we all look better than most of the men anyway..

Last quote from the article: "The social aspects of the world are, in fact, among its most powerful. Relationships in Second Life develop with remarkable speed. "If your feelings are real in real life, then they're real there, too," Dibbell says. "That's hard for people who've never spent time in these places to really grasp. It doesn't work to say, 'Oh, someone's bothering you; turn off the computer,' because people have a real emotional investment in it."

This article is great and I really encourage a full read.

Jenn

No comments: