Saturday, November 05, 2005

My First Shot at a Second Life

I have entered Second Life and experienced the joys and frustrations that await therein. Here is a pic of me flying over the welcome pavilion in my not-so-chic outfit that it took two computer crashes (and my computer is new and supposedly pretty powerful) to create. I like that I can be skinny in my Second Life. It's a big plus to not be plus. Anyway, Mercedes and I experienced the initiation to this new world together -- she on one computer and I on the other, but in the same room. She was definitely the quicker starter, so I got a lot of pointers that would have taken me more time to work my way through if she hadn't been there. Here is a snap of the two of us in the sandbox region, which is a training ground for creating things -- a training I flunked, I am afraid. I created a cylinder, but couldn't figure out what to do to make it actually BE something. I will try again soon, but I feel ok about this first entry into the fray.

Jim's post inspired me to dig deeper and go further. I know we are supposed to think of some sort of educational game that could be realized in this virtual world. Now that I have a little (very little, but other homework calls) knowledge about the concept itself and the means of movement, communication and creation, I will move away to let an idea incubate of what I could do.

If you want to put me on your list of friends, I am Marguerite Benmergui.

I am wondering what the name is of the group that we are supposed to join.

No comments: