Monday, November 07, 2005

Kathleen's Second Life Experience



Considering I am not a "gamer", I didn't have as many problems as some of you. I signed on and got into the game successfully. However, sometimes when I click on the program icon the game starts, and sometimes it asks me if I want to install the game again instead of just opening it. When Bernie mentioned in class that we didn't have to be human, I thought it would be cool to be a feline so I named myself Cat. However, I haven't been able to figure out how to change from being a human. I haven't pursued it that much because, like some of the other women's responses..the girls look pretty good!!

I started off asking my son to do it with me..since he plays a lot of games. He ran me through Orientation Island before I had a chance to change anything! But I was able to right click on my avatar later and at least make my legs taller, lighten my eye color and change the color of my top (yes..this part is very fun!!) I loved Rebecca's statement about the wusses of the world and she brings up great points to ponder about motivation. I personally don't find it that interesting to interact in a virtual world..I guess I get enough interaction in the world I wake up to every morning. Maybe there is just something about personalities..that some people find it intriguing and others don't. I will probably focus my attention on using simulations for learning "real world" skills and lessons.

Still, it is a pretty world and its nice to fly around. I switched to the "mouse" look but didn't like it as much as the original view. My guess is that if I got more comfortable and adept at playing the game, my confidence would go up and I would enjoy it more. However, if I need to learn something, I will be more motivated that if I'm just playing a game for fun.

Here I am as Cat Ganache! Well, maybe not..I keep getting an error message saying that it can't upload my picture.

No comments: