Wednesday, November 01, 2000

More on Violence. Okay, the post from Eric helped me see a connection between a form of "enjoyed violence" that I already understand (sports like football, boxing, hockey) and the "enjoyed violence" in computer games. I guess it's easier for me to see how human nature is just wired to be physically agressive (and the socially accepted form of that is sports). But harder for me to acknowledge that this agression can be satisfied by games that have no physical component. I guess I've always wanted to believe that the intellectual, creative, and imaginative part of human nature was the part that was moving away from needing to conquer, slash, burn, kill, destroy. Anyway, the post from Bernie provided a lot of insight too. Maybe the whole deal is not that the violence found in games is promoting violence in real-life, but that violence in games helps prevent violence in real-life. We just don't have a way of measuring how violent our crowded planet would be these days if it didn't have access to so many types of game violence. And, I agree that it's really up to parents and other adult mentors to guide kids. Requiring cards, or rating movies or whatever is a poor substitute for caring supervision.

No comments: