Monday, November 20, 2000

Response to Elaine's Question


Elaine asked what I have learned from our violence WebQuest. Surprisingly enough, I think I learned more about myself and my beliefs than anything. For the first time in my life, I have been called 'conservative.' That really made me think. I have always thought of my father as conservative and that I have very different views from him. But now, I have been compared to him. It's a little disconcerting. I need to do a little more soul searching...

As for what I learned about violence... It is true that violence is very subjective. We had discussions about violent scenes on the evening news and their purpose. That caused quite a debate. It came to the table after the 12-year-old boy was filmed as he was killed in the Middle East. Do we really need to actually see this in order to know how bad it is over there? I don't think we do. Obviously, others disagreed (hence my conservative label). I think that the more we make violent images 'okay' even for news purposes, the easier it is to accept them. This continues our downward slide. (Eric, I am not Mrs. Joshua Goodman!) I am wondering what others think about this?

No comments: