Friday, October 27, 2000

Okay, I'm going to combine some thoughts on violent games, gender, and bots (I'm in the bot group). One of the links for my group goes to a website that provides lists of various types of bots that exist. At first it brought me to the "games bots" list, and I began to think that bots were mostly only for violent types of games. Each bot had a little description like " this bot can isn't afraid to die... this is an agressive bot.." etc. So I thought, come on! can't people have a little more imagination than that? Then I saw that the site had lists for other kinds of bots. I went to the "fun bot" list, which had bots that *I* found interesting. There's a bot that will evaluate your reading preferences and recommend books for you, and one that will do the same for movies. Then I found that I already have some experience with bots... I have a Catz program, and these too are bots. They're little virtual cats that play on your computer screen. Anyway, now I feel less as though bots are purely designed for the types of violent gaming that I don't cater to (and that I believe are male-dominated... do the gender or violence groups agree on that one?). There is a bot out there for everyone.

No comments: