Monday, October 30, 2000

I am responding to Noelle's question regarding what I meant when I wrote that children who are interested in violence choose violent games. I did mean what i wrote, but I do feel that some clarification of what I mean is needed. Violence is a very strong buzzword and saying that some people are interested in violence sounds quite ugly. Violence might mean playing cops and robbers. It could also mean watching an action movie with a lot of gunfire and explosions. In extreme cases it means going out and getting into fights. To a certain degree they are all based in violence and some of them are healthier than others.

I think that if a child (or anyone else for that matter) were playing too many games and they began to associate with the games too much, than that is something that should be looked at carefully. The motives are also important. If someone is playing violent games because of pent up aggression or anger than the games are probably not a healthy outlet for those feelings. Of course, I am not trained in any kind of psychology, so this is nothing but more opinion.

No comments: