Sunday, October 29, 2000

Hi everyone... I have been doing some reading and research on game violence. One commonality that exists across all of the articles that I have read is that there is an overwhelming agreement that violence in video games has a direct influence on children’s behavior and has increased violent behaviors among children as well as teenagers. Among the members in my group I chose to take a more liberal approach to this topic. The reason for this being that I personally don’t think that video games should solely be blamed for children’s violent behavior. Granted, I don’t think it helps the issue, however, I put the responsibility one hundred percent on the parents. Ever since video games have been around some have been violent in one form or another. The only difference with the games of today is that they are a lot more technologically advanced. So does this mean that because these games have better more advanced graphics that violent crimes among children and teens is going to dramatically increase? I don’t think so. If children are going to commit a violent act then it is usually due to more serious complicated issues. I don’t think that some kid is going to play Doom for an hour and go rob a liquor store. If these parents don’t want their kids exposed to these games then don’t buy them. Sometimes it seems that parents are quick to blame others for their children’s bad behavior instead of blaming themselves.

No comments: