Sunday, October 22, 2006

Second Life and the Economy

It's a Sunday morning and as I am having my morning cup of coffee along side my husband - me on the laptop, him reading the newspaper - I am thinking about and working on my 670 class assignments and I glance over at my husband and ask, "Honey, have you ever heard of Second Life?" he replies "Why yes, darling, I just finished reading an article about it. Here it is." What a coincidence, I thought! I should blog about this article for the EdGames blog.

The U-T article is about the booming population and economy that is growing in Second Life. Users are able to sell things in Second Life with real $$ (I had no idea you could do this!). And some are actually buying real estate. Pretend real estate!! Buying and selling virtual "stuff" seemed a little strange to me at first. But now I can see why big companies like Nike, Nissan and Amazon would use the virtual world to advertise and sell products. Now that the virtual population in Second Life has reached one million and is still growing, companies and entrepreneurs are taking advantage of the new possibilities for making money in the virtual world.

No comments: