Friday, November 09, 2007

Harvest Moon: More Than Just a Child's Play Thing?

My daughter started playing Harvest Moon when she was 9 years old. So, two years has past and she is still very interested and now my son is very involved with the game. Before I knew anything about SL, I just figured it was a nice, wholesome game for them to play. What I new about it was that the player designed a farm from the ground up with all of the animals, plants, and crops. the player planted the seeds, raised chickens and the player could even sell the crops for money in this virtual farm-world. So it seemed like a really nice and safe way for my children to experience the farm-life, work the land and work with the currency and make a little money. Plus, all decisions were theirs-this was their world. Now that I know about SL, I recognize that this virtual game was their first experience is SL and mine too! There are many games out there that appeal to children; trying to find quality games with limited violence that actually appeal to children is the trick. As one person states, "It's a welcome relief from all of the fast-paced games that are hyped today." In Harvest Moon you move at your own pace, and not so much at the pace of guests, limits, and other pressures that come with "fast paced" games. Check out a fun and meaningful virtual world- Harvest Moon.

1 comment:

Ruth Maas said...

Caution to Harvest Moon
I have a ten year old daughter and she plays on "Club Penguin." Since I have been introduced to SL, I wonder about the safety of virtual games for children.

Do you ever wonder who your daughter is playing with on "Harvest Moon?' My fifteen year old daughter is addicted to "my space" and got hooked up with an older guy on the other side of town. I put an end to that right away! You say it can't happen to your family until it does. Kids don't think there is any harm in these virtual games. After seeing more of SL, I don't want to cruise around there any more. Filth, filth, filth.