Thursday, November 08, 2007

Gardens and Sunsets

I found this page: http://secondlife.com/newsletter/2006_10/ and one of the first things I read was:

Zen and the Art of SL
There are many beautiful and serene places in Second Life to sit and watch a sunset or listen to the birds. Gardens of flowers, waterfalls, and secret places can be found throughout the world. Here are just five of the many beautiful gardens of Second Life.

1
Bliss Basin
2
The Lost Gardens of Apollo
3
Zen Gardens of Achemon
4
Lost Gardens of Slosser
5
Vanda?s Pocket Park

My first thought was ‘seriously?’ I get that there are places in Second Life that are very visually appealing. What I am aghast about is that people would visit gardens or watch sunsets in Second Life instead of in real life. To me you would lose more than half of the experience if you lose the ability to smell the gardens and perhaps feel the grass under your feet, etc.

I suppose if you couldn’t get to the gardens that you can see in Second Life that’s one thing. But we shouldn’t exclude what we can get to in the real life if we want the full experience.

1 comment:

Karl Richter said...

I agree with you Teri, the real thing's more amazing than the version in pixels. Perhaps these are nice places for a reflective moment inworld.