Monday, November 19, 2007

Club Penguin

"Club Penguin" is an on-line virtual reality world of penguins. My ten year old daughter loves to get on "Club Penguin" and play games with other penguins. There are many similarities between "Club Penguin" and "Second Life." 

Both have virtual characters and places to interact with others. Both have an option to pay real money to buy things in the virtual world such as clothes. Both have the option to chat with another character you encounter. "Club Penguin" looks so cute, and there are always many penguins roaming around the screen when I watch my daughter play.

As a parent I worry about the dangers in the virtual penguin world. Let me explain. When first exposed to "Second Life" I was in awe. Being able to take upon a new look as an "avatar" person and move about the virtual world was new, fun, and exciting at first. When I explored on my own outside of the SDSU virtual campus I was shocked to see what was really out in the virtual world. Lots of disgusting things--scantily dressed people, repulsive language, and shocking posters--just to name a few. I then thought of the type of people who were on this "Second Life" and got scared and got off right away. In my opinion "Second Life" has been polluted by filth.

Could "Club Penguin" have a hidden agenda? Are all those penguins running around really just kids? The thought of the possibilities frightens me. So I now go on "Club Penguin" with my daughter, or let my older teenage son supervisor and play with her. He has a virtual penguin as well and loves to play the games.

No comments: