Saturday, November 17, 2007

Family Feud for Education


This past week, my wife who is pursuing her MA in History at SDSU and her presentation partner used a game to teach a lesson about William Cronon - an Environmental historian. The impetus for using a game was one, they wanted to do something different than everyone else had done and two, Elle said she was inspired when she saw Caloric Consequences, the board game that Aaron, Sarah, and I made.

Elle, Jason, and I brainstormed for a few days on what game would work in this instance. Jason finally came up with the idea of using Family Feud. By using this game, the entire class could participate and play would rotate, so more than just one or two people could try to answer questions. They game was a big hit and the professor was excited to see something different than the standard PowerPoint.

This scenario really got me thinking once again about all the ways games can be used to make learning more fun. It also got me wondering, so I pose this question…..Is there any game out there that can’t be used for education in some way?

No comments: