Wednesday, November 14, 2001

Wow- when I commented about the value of Hollywood production to be used in the service of educational products and games, I didn't consider that education had had such illustrious Hollywood names behind it. I pulled this off the site that Bernie mentioned on 11/11.

"Then, in the 1950s and 1960s, educational film reached a zenith in the with the Bell Labs Science Series. This set of educational films, directed by Frank Capra and produced by Jack Warner, used creative storytelling and advanced filmmaking techniques to engage a new generation of students in science."

Which is an ironic observation, of sorts, when you see how utterly low tech are their own presentations of storyboards. You can barely make out the voice overs. That said, the optical physics lesson embedded in the Amazon adventure seems, um, fine. But with all the build up of this monumental collaboration at MIT , I guess I was expecting... more? I'm not sure what. Not to be trite but elegant games are elusive, even at MIT.

No comments: