Wednesday, November 21, 2001

While working on the Game Violence WebQuest, I decided that I would ask my 200 sophomores and juniors how many of them played or have played regularly games like Quake and Doom. I expected a couple, in fact, I expected a good handful, but the response was pretty amazing. Among my three sophomore classes, about 2/3s of each class has played these type of first person shooters regularly (enough to pass levels was how I qualified it) - including girls. In one class there were about ten girls who said they had gotten together with other girls to play Quake. Girls! You expect the boys...

The juniors were a little more reluctant to admit to playing these games (they mature and get cooler when they turn 16), but after a short discussion on whether or not they should be banned, more hands went up when I asked again who played these games.

When I asked how many people played educational type games. You can guess the response, about 2-5 hands a class.

No comments: