Sunday, October 28, 2001

The Prensky readings have really stirred up a lot of professional turmoil for me over the past few weeks. My formal teacher training was rooted in constructivism and cooperative learning, but as the accountability and standardized test movement barrels through public education I find myself less free to teach using this philosophy. I find myself trying to come up with ideas that will introduce, teach and reinforce concepts and skills to my twitch speed 2nd graders.

But how do you create a learning environment that caters to highly mobile and tactile learners in a movement that calls for children to "bubble in" their knowledge. I currently use several manipulative-based games to teach math concepts, but I would like to carry this format over to other areas of the curriculum, while still maintaining a standards based curriculum. Not sure how to do that in a world where games are a no-no and the Internet is non-existent in the classroom...still thinking on this one...any suggestions?

No comments: