Tuesday, October 30, 2001

I was looking at some of the online games that have a historical theme and ran across the Hundred Years War, an online simulation that focuses on medieval life. I just finished teaching the Middle Ages in my 10th grade world history class and some of the kids wanted explore this topic further, so I thought this simulation might be good for any of the "gamers" I have in class (other than the fact that it costs $5.95 a month after the first month) - it requires some historical background and seems to keep to the history as best as it can.

While this was interesting, what really caught my eye was an online book called The Complete Wargames Handbook written by James F Dunnigan. He defines wargames, discusses the audience, gives instructions as to how to design a manual game, and then he gets into the computer side of wargames. Through the text he focuses more on the conceptual side of wargame design and even notes that the programing is something completely different.

No comments: