Sunday, October 02, 2011

Johnnie's Math Page














http://jmathpage.com/

Attention: My students go to the computer lab twice a week, and during that 45 minute block, I can pretty much decide to let my kids work on whatever educational program that I want. The computer lab lady provides me with a list, but my kids have been working on those programs since kindergarten, so they're bored with all of them. I normally have them go on Study Island and Zingy, but they use those programs throughout the week during designated Study Island and Zingy times, so I often feel it's an overkill as well. Wanting my kids to use that time wisely, I happened to stumble upon Johnnie's Math Page, which they all LOVE! It helps them practice their math skills and at the same time, they're very engaged and having fun with the games.

Relevant: What I love most about Johnnie's Math Page is that it covers all of the math topics, and not just a specific topic (e.g. multiplication facts). It's perfect for 5th grade because most of the main points of this school year is part of this website. For example, my kids often have a hard time with converting fractions to decimals and percents. There's two games on the website that covers this topic alone. I really do feel like it correlates with the state standards nicely!

Confidence: Even though my kids should've already mastered their basic multiplication facts by the time they reach 5th grade, most of them come to me without that knowledge. It can get really frustrating (for both the kids and me alike) when they're getting multi-digit multiplication and long division problems wrong because they didn't multiply correctly. Therefore, I made it a priority for them to leave my classroom with that skill. I do a lot of paper drill and kill, and sometimes, they get frustrated. I noticed that after playing the basic multiplication facts games on Johnnie's Math, they get better at my paper drill and kill in the classroom. It also transfers to their other math assignments. I've had my kids go on Johnnie's Math Page for 3 years now, and each year, I see how my kids' confidence levels have gone up!

Satisfaction: Everyone, but especially little kids, like instant gratification. No matter which game the kids' select, they get their results instantly. It's very heartwarming when my kids call me over just to show my their high scores. They even call me over to tell me that they didn't do too well this time around, but that they're going to beat it next time!

No comments: