Sunday, November 09, 2008

Free Rice is a vocabulary game I found through the Games for Change website. FreeRice is a sister site of Poverty.com and their partners are the Berkman Center for Internet & Society at Harvard University and the United Nations World Food Program.

FreeRice has two goals: To provide education to everyone for free and to help end world hunger by providing rice to hungry people for free. The Free Rice game gives people the opportunity to expand their vocabulary while at the same time donating grains of rice for every word they define correctly.

While the game is not very high tech, it is something that can definitely be used in any classroom. As you progress through the game, the words get harder to define. The levels range from 1-60 and they even offer the option of changing the level or subject at any time. You can choose from Art, Chemistry, Geography, Language Learning, and Math. Each time you answer correctly, the bowl starts to fill with rice, which I think the younger students would find interesting.

I really enjoyed this game because it was entertaining, educational, and it made me feel even better knowing that I was helping others out. I think this game sends a great message to anyone that would play it. I will use this game for my ELD students.

No comments: