Monday, December 12, 2011

Goodwill Community Foundation: Free Online Learning Resources




Like a lot of people, I am familiar with the Goodwill Community Foundation (GCF) because I use its thrift shops to get rid of stuff I don’t want anymore and get a tax deduction in the process. I love looking through the store to see I can find a treasure. What I didn’t know until a few months ago is that GCF offers training on a variety of subjects on its Web site, and occasionally through the On Demand offerings on Time Warner Cable.

I discovered this educational resource when surfing through the On Demand channel offerings. Just out of curiosity, I decided to check out some of the offerings. One lesson I remember was on the basics of fractions. The lesson was presented in a very tastefully designed, well-narrated Flash file that I could tell was created with Articulate Presenter because of the look and feel of the screen. The content was very basic, but was well suited to an elementary school child or to anyone for that matter who needs a refresher on adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing fractions. The training was quite short too. It provided just a good bite size amount of content.

About two weeks later, I looked for those courses on cable again and they had been removed. What I did discover is that everyone can access GCF’s free training on the GCF Learn Free.org Web site. Did I say it was free? Let me state that again: The training is FREE. There are a plethora of topics to explore. You learn at your own pace with over 750 lessons and over 250 videos. You can take computer-related classes, classes pertaining to money management, other classes pertaining to everyday life, and so on. It is definitely worth checking out.

No comments: