Friday, October 28, 2005

Usability

While this is not game-specific, I believe we are about to enter (or will at some point) into a web-authoring experience of some type. Even if we don't, I got this link from Dr. Bober in our 795A class, and wow, is it fab! The site is
www.useit.com, which is the property of Jakob Nielsen, who has been dubbed "The Guru of Web Page Usability" by The New York Times. I read a few of his periodic blurbs he calls "Alertboxes". Great stuff. Even if it isn't about games, per se, it is very valuable for instructional design and web design, which are the building blocks of a lot of what we are doing, and will be doing with games in the future.

My personal favorites were The Top Ten Web Design Mistakes of 2005 (yes, they are still making many of the very same old basic blunders in 2005) and R.I.P. WYSIWYG. (Stay on the lookout for Office 12 and the WYGIWYS.) It is so interesting. Exciting times are ahead.

Just had to pass it on...

Peggy

No comments: