Thursday, October 06, 2005

Games … not just for fun … architects on board!

Browsing for topics to post, I found a link to some seminars called GameSetandMatch II.

This initiative of a dutch professor (Ir Kas Oosterhuis) – “ …discusses current and future transformations within digitally driven architectural practices through innovative cross-disciplinary collaborations in general and real-time collaborative design, engineering and prototyping processes in particular

I visited the link of the Prof Oosterhuis (http://www.oosterhuis.nl/gsm2/flash/), and one of the goals of the seminars is “ … to discuss the interplay between architecture and computer game design”.
Further in the page is pointed that both computer game design and architecture organize spatial relations.

In my case, even though I consider myself a visual person, when it comes to understand space, and re-interpret in 3D something in 2-D is really a challenge. I found interesting the approach to use the gaming simulation, to do not exactly to compete against others but to have your own sand play to practice skills.

One of the sentences I read just kept bouncing in the back of my mind …
“Computer game designers are thereby stretching the boundaries of what is possible in the virtual world” …

Can then people with any background at all in building, design (based in out of the box propositions) my house in the future ? …

Sounds as an interesting mix … computer game designers & architects.

No comments: