Sunday, December 07, 2008

Nobel Prize Trade Game

How do you explain Nobel Prize winning work? How about with a simulation style game! The good folks at NobelPrize.org have done just that, as part of their Education Games series, previously featured on this blog. This post will focus on the economic game, called Trade, which is modeled upon the Heckscher-Ohlin theory of goods and services. The into screen invites the player to read up on the theory itself, which being a good gamer I ignored (to my peril, as I was to discover).
The game starts with the player choosing an island to start on, with varying levels of capital and labor:
An then moves on to the usual player configuration features, which inextricably seem to channel a graphic sense perhaps best described as Art Clokey meets Kenny Scharf:


However, after some cajoling I was able to get an avatar that at least resembled a human:
Then the game begins, with very little instruction (should have read that intro)! The player is taken to a somewhat confusing main screen, but with only 3 buttons to choose from on the video, I clicked on the first to start production. After making cell phones, I am prompted to trade with my partner.

I do so and get a message whether or not the citizens of my land think prosperity has increased. This play continues for three rounds, and then ends abruptly, displaying the score and what the optimum score should be using t
he Heckscher-Ohlin theory. Needless to say, I would not make a good island economic czar.
Which brings me to the biggest complaint of the game - the design is confusing, especially if you are tempted to jump right in before reading the theory. There are too many little details on the main page that do nothing except serve as distractions for your mouse. I wish there was a bit more guidance - you are told to maximize prosperity, but never how to do this. I guess if someone were already introduced to the theory this would be a good little sandbox simulation. But if others' experiences were like mine, I would think that they may leave more frustrated than educated.

No comments: