Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Virtual reality TV


We've seen a lot of Second Life content on TV recently (crime-solving in SL on CSI: New York, broken dreams on The Office, etc.). I read an article on Reuters Second Life today about TV moving into SL. For some time there's been a version of Big Brother in Second Life. It wasn't new, but it was new to me, and it got me thinking.
I have to admit that I enjoy Big Brother. It is so boring and so fascinating at the same time. I could do without the elaborate games they have to play for special privileges and immunity. I don't really care about the scheming that the players do, either. What's interesting, to me at least, is the dull stuff: the vapid conversations, the dish-washing, the everyday things. It's sort of like watching animals at the zoo: They eat, they sleep, they stretch, they yawn, and it's hard to pull yourself away.
When I first read the article about BB in SL, I thought it might be kind of cool to see the show from a different perspective, to control the camera. And I it would on another kind of show. If there were a SL CSI, you might watch the autopsy from the perspective of the corpse or a car chase from above. But what would even happen on BB in SL? You don't need to brush your teeth or make breakfast in SL. What's there to watch?

No comments: