Sunday, September 17, 2006

Game Mechanics

Just came across a very nice list of Game Mechanics on the Board Game Designers Forum. What's a game mechanic, you may well ask? It's an element of game structure that describes, for example, how cards are drawn, or how the abilities of pieces differ from each other.

The referenced page is part of a wiki, and so not all pages are complete. It's a great resource, though, when you're at the early creative phase of developing a board game. It provides a pool of ideas that probably go beyond what's already in your head.

3 comments:

edtecnelly said...

Wow, this should give me some good ideas to use in my game. I was having trouble thinking how gamer builders incorporate randomness without the usual land on square deal. I'm so torn between doing a game on insurance or american frontiers!

mike said...

Cool resource. I really like the link to games using each type of game mechanisims. Thanks!

Unknown said...

This is a great resource. It's given me some other options to consider.